Pro Tools Setup for Impact GX
First you will need to set the Impact GX keyboard to USB Port Setup Mode 4
- Press the 'Setup' button. The Setup button's LED will light up
- Press key A2 (labeled 'USB Port Setup'). The Setup button LED will begin to flash
- Press key D4 on GX49 or key D5 on GX61 (labeled '4')
- Press key C5 on GX49 or key C6 on GX61 (labeled 'Enter'). The Setup button LED will turn off.
Now it's time to launch Pro Tools.
With Pro Tools open go to the 'Setup' menu and select 'Peripherals', as shown in Image 1.
In the Peripherals menu, go to the 'MIDI Controllers' tab, then configure following settings:
- Type = 'M-Audio Keyboard'
- Receive From = 'Impact GX MIDI 2' in OSX, 'MIDIIN2 (IMPACT GX) [Emulated]' in Windows
- Send To = 'Impact GX MIDI 1' in OSX, 'IMPACT GX [Emulated]' in Windows then
If everything is configured correctly, you should see the Impact GX's MIDI ports configured as shown in Image 2 for Windows and Image 3 for OSX.
Now your Impact GX is confgured in Pro Tools.
When the 'Shift' button is not lit, the Impact GX's buttons perform the following functions:
- Click - Not Assigned
- << - Rewind
- >> - Fast Forward
- Loop - Used in conjunction with other buttons to activate loop functions
- Stop - Stop playback
- Play - Start playback
- Record - Arm the transport for recording
The [Loop] button provides additional options and gives access to the following functions:
- Loop+Play = Loop Playback
- Loop+Record = Loop Record
- Loop+Stop = Undo
- Loop+RW = Go to start
- Loop+FF = Go to end
- Note: The loop button has no function when pressed by itself
When the Shift button is lit, the blue labels printed above the buttons describe their functions:
- S1 - Mute selected track
- S2 - Solo selected track
- <Track - Select previous track
- Track> - Select next track
- <Patch - Jump back 8 tracks
- Patch> - Jump ahead 8 tracks
Controlling Instrument Parameters
It's possible to assign the Impact GX's control pot to instrument parameters in Pro Tools. Many of the AIR instruments and third-part plug-isn have a 'Learn' function.
For example, if you right-click on a parameter in the 'XPand 2' plug-in you will see menu with assignment options, as shown in Image 4. Select 'Learn CC' then move the control pot on your Impact GX keyboard. That parameter should now be controlled by the pot.
If you encounter the warning shown in Image 5, it is because the Impact series keyboards are not M-Audio keyboards. Simply click the 'Don't show this again' option and then click 'OK'.