Ableton Live Setup and Troubleshooting: Impact
This page is now obsolete. If you have arrived at this page, please click on the link below link:
Using Ableton Live with Impact
Impact LX, LX+ and GX keyboards can be used as a simple control surface in Ableton Live with some basic configuration. This template is not as comprehensive as our integration for the other DAWs which we support but it will give you a place to start, so that you don't need to configure basic functions, such as Transport control.
Here is a list of the supported features:
With Preset Mode selected (press the Preset button) and the Global Channel set to 16 (see instructions below) the pots, faders,
pads and buttons on your Impact LX/LX+ (only the Transport functions apply to the Impact GX series) will control the following
parameters in Ableton Live:
Cycle - Activate/Deactivate loop markers in Arrangement View
<< (Rewind) - Moves playback position backward
>> (Fast Forward) - Moves playback position forward
Stop - Stops playback
Play - Starts play back
Record - Activates Recording
Faders 1-8 Control volume for the first 8 Mixer channels in the project
Fader 9 controls the Master Volume
Buttons 1-8 Arm the first 8 tracks in the project
Control Instrument parameters for the selected track
< Track and Track > functions
Selects the bank of controls for the active instrument
Pad Map1 triggers the first 8 drum pads in a selected bank for Live's Drum Rack
Pad Map2 triggers the next 8 drum pads in a selected bank for Live's Drum Rack
To get started, please download the Live Remote Script file from the link below.
Ableton Live Remote Script
Note: Only Live 8.3 and above are supported
1. With Ableton Live closed copy the 'Impact LX' folder to the following locations:
Windows: C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live\Preferences\User Remote Scripts
Note: This is a hidden directory. To access this directory you will need to:
Configure Windows to 'Show Hidden Files and Folders'
Deactivate 'Hide Protected Operating System files'.'
Please follow the instructions on this page: Show hidden files
MAC OSX: ~/Library/Preference/Ableton/Live /User Remote Scripts
Note: in OSX 10.7 and 10.8, this is a hidden directory. To access this directory follow these steps:
Open a Finder window
Type or paste ~/Library/Preferences/Ableton in the text field
2. Once you have copied the Impact LX folder to the correct directory, launch Ableton Live and do the following:
Open the Preferences window in Live and select the MIDI Tab.
Select 'Impact LX' (slot 1) form the list of Control Surfaces and set the Input port to 'IMPACT LX__ (Port 1)'
Repeat this for control surface slot 2 but for the input choose 'IMPACT LX__ (Port 2)'
Once you've competed the above steps your preferences window in Ableton Live should look like this.
3. Finally we need to make a quick adjustment on your Impact LX controller. Follow these steps to set the Global MIDI Channel to 16
- Press the SETUP button on your Impact LX (press Shift+Setup on the LX+ series).
- Press Key C2 (Global Channel) on Impact LX's keyboard. This is the second C key from the far left.
- If you are using an LX25/LX25+, press key C3 (labeled 'Enter'). If you are using any other Impact controller, skip this step.
- Press Key C3 (labeled with a '-' sign, key C1 on the LX25) so the display says 0.1.6.
- Press SETUP to exit setup mode (again, press Shift+Setup on the LX+ series)
- Press the 'Setup' button
- Press key A2 (labeled 'USB Port Setup')
- Press key B4 (labeled '2')
- Press key C6 (labeled 'Enter')
Now you are ready to Control Live from your Impact LX, LX+ or GX keyboard.